A Missing Finger and Work Fever

10:11 AM

This week, I was reminded how thankful I am to have Jeff as my husband. I swear that this week was the craziest week of my summer. It feels like I'm in the middle of midterms in a semester, but I'm not even taking classes this summer, I'm just working up 20-30 hours a week. But this week was much different than my typical relaxing summer week.

Monday morning started a 6-day conference at work. I had to be there at 7am and didn't get home until after 4pm.  I worked 9 hours, then came home and started dinner. I was making this yummy butternut squash mac & cheese and curly fries. It was going great. I was going to work on it for half an hour before picking Jeff up from work at 5pm. 4:50 came, I was peeling the butternut squash, and slice, I peeled the top of my finger, including half my fingernail, right off. Within 3 seconds, it was bleeding more than I have bled since 1st grade when I cut my ankle and rushed to the emergency room. Jeff wasn't home, so I tried not to get blood everywhere and wrapped it with paper towels. 30 seconds later, I had bled through the paper towels and had to grab 4 more to wrap it so I could go pick up Jeff from work. Luckily I had Jeff's car so I didn't have to drive stick-shift with only one hand, so I was able to get to Jeff's work. We returned home and Jeff had to finish dinner. I tried to help but I couldn't really do anything more than stir things with my still-useable hand. As soon as dinner made it into the oven, Jeff ran to the grocery store to by bandaids and gauze - we didn't have a single bandaid in our apartment! We were able to wrap it up. I have realized that it is really hard to do things without a thumb. Because it hurts so bad, I can't use it to do anything, and it has been really inconvenient. For the rest of the week, dinner has been hard to prepare and moving stuff around at work has been difficult due to the lack of a functioning thumb.

Every day I have worked 8-9 hours at work and get home at 4 to try and make dinner for Jeff. Meanwhile, we have had errands to run, cleaning to do, thank you cards to write, phone calls to make, laundry to fold, decisions to be made, and dishes to do. To top it off, we got our gym pass this week so we have been cutting out an hour of our evening to be able to work out.

This week would have been really hard without Jeff. He has been so helpful with dinner, dishes, laundry, and especially helpful with wrapping my finger up for me. I didn't think this week would be so stressful, but when it became so stressful I had a wonderful husband by my side to help me get through it.

I'm including a wedding photo because I'm especially grateful for this man who is by my side and loves my weirdness and helps my through my stressful weeks.
love,
SK

You Might Also Like

0 comments