J's Side of the Story

11:01 AM


This beauty is Sarah Kimbal Jensen and next month I get to call her my WIFE!!

I met Sarah my first semester back at BYU from my mission in Nicaragua. My roommate, Cameron, was dating Sarah’s sister Jessica at that time. I had known Jess and Cam since 2011 when I first started at BYU. Through Jessica I was able to meet Sarah and become friends with her. She would come over to my apartment often to spend time with Jessica, my roommates and I. We had a lot of fun together but we were just friends at that moment in time.

In November I had the opportunity to go to St. George to run the half marathon there. I went with Jessica, Sarah, and Mikele (Cameron wasn’t able to make it). I was able to get to know Sarah more during that trip and had a great time. Yeah it was quite the drive being with all of them and listening to Taylor Swift. I felt like I could just be myself around her and not worry about her thinking I was too weird or something.

After Christmas break we started talking to each other a lot more. She had mentioned that she needed to go to Costco to buy some things so I said I’d go with her. I didn’t really need anything but I just wanted to go spend time with her. We started spending lots of time together and I was very happy. Around that time Cameron had asked me to be his best man at his wedding and I found out that Jessica had asked Sarah to be her maid of honor. This was perfect for me! I knew we would need to collaborate and spend time together to plan for the wedding.

Towards the end of January we were talking all the time and were very much a part of each other’s lives. I decided to call her up and ask her on a date. I took her to get ice cream at Cold Stone’s Creamery. (I knew she loved ice cream). It was a simple date but we ended up spending about three hours just talking and talking. I had no idea that we were there for that long. It felt like an hour. Time really just flew by and I knew Sarah was something special. That was our first date and it was the Wednesday before Valentine’s Day. I was nervous because I had only taken her on one date so far so I wasn’t sure how she was feeling about me at that time so I didn’t want to overwhelm her on Valentine’s day by getting her anything too big. So I decided I was just going to get a bouquet of flowers and some crispy M&Ms. (She absolutely loves flowers, chocolate, and crispy M&Ms). So I went over to her place and surprised her with the flowers.

The weeks following we kept flirting more and more and spending more and more time together. Life was going great and I knew I liked her a lot. We went night skiing a few times because Sarah wanted to learn how to snowboard. Since I grew up in Salt Lake I have spent my whole life snowboarding so I decided I wanted to try skiing so I could go slow with her. It was a lot of fun skiing with her as she was learning how to snowboard. She didn’t like it when I would ski by her so I would kind of speed ahead, slow down and then speed ahead. I just absolutely loved spending time with her.

During the rest of the semester I kept falling more and more in love with her each day. I was nervous to tell her that I loved her so I just kept it in. Finally during the summer while she was visiting me here in Utah (we were doing long distance at the time) I told her that I loved her. From then on our relationship kept growing stronger and stronger and I am so grateful that I finally told her.

On December 4th I proposed to her. When I went to get the ring I kept it a secret so that I would be able to surprise her when it came. It was hard to do that because she kept asking whether or not I was going to buy the ring but I didn’t want her to know about it. Finally when I had gotten the ring I surprised her by decorating my apartment with Christmas lights, candles, photos of us, and flowers. When I brought her to my place she was not expecting it and I was able to ask her to marry me and she said YES! (For the whole story read Sarah’s post that she had written earlier, she’s a much better writer and storyteller than I).

I cannot wait for April 23 to be able to marry her! It’s crazy to think that it is only one month away!! I am so glad that I was able to find Sarah and that we get to be eternal companions.

J

You Might Also Like

0 comments